Welcome to the GONG group at University of Maryland. Our research focuses on magnetic, electronic and optical properties of two-dimensional materials, nanostructures and nanodevices, studied by optical and electrical approaches in synergy with density functional theory calculations. The fundamental physics and phenomena have significant application implications in data storage, sensors, energy and quantum technologies.
6. C. Gong, P. Zhang, T. Norden, Q. Li, Z. Guo, A. Chaturvedi, A. Najafi, S. Lan, X. Liu, Y. Wang, S.-J. Gong, H. Zeng, H. Zhang, A. Petrou, X. Zhang, "Ferromagnetism emerged from non-ferromagnetic atomic crystals." Nature Communications 14, 3839 (2023).
5. S. Liang, J. Liang, J. C. Kotsakidis, H. S. Arachchige, D. Mandrus, A. L. Friedman, C. Gong, "New coercivities and Curie temperatures emerged in van der Waals homostructures." Physical Review Materials 7, L061001(2023).
4. S. Liang, T. Xie, N. A. Blumenschein, T. Zhou, T. Ersevim, Z. Song, J. Liang, M. A. Susner, B. S. Conner, S.-J. Gong, J.-P. Wang, M. Ouyang, I. Žutić, A. L. Friedman, X. Zhang, C. Gong, "Small-voltage multiferroic control of two-dimensional magnetic insulators." Nature Electronics 6, 199-205 (2023).
3. J. Liang, S. Liang, T. Xie, A. F. May, T. Ersevim, Q. Wang, H. Ahn, C. Lee, X. Zhang, J.-P. Wang, M. A. McGuire, M. Ouyang, C. Gong, "Facile integration of giant exchange bias in Fe5GeTe2/oxide heterostructures by atomic layer deposition." Physical Review Materials 7, 014008 (2023)
2. Q. Wang, T. Xie, N. A. Blumenscheinb, Z. Song, J. C. Kotsakidis, A. T. Hanbicki, M. A. Susner, B. S. Conner, Q. Tan, S. H. Lee, Z. Mao, X. Ling, T. Low, J.-P. Wang, A. L. Friedman, C. Gong, "Extraordinary Tunnel Electroresistance in Layer-by-Layer Engineered van der Waals Ferroelectric Tunnel Junctions." Matter 5, 4425-4436 (2022).
1. Z. Tu, T. Zhou, T. Ersevim, H. S. Arachchige, A. T. Hanbicki, A. L. Friedman, D. Mandrus, M. Ouyang, I. Žutić, C. Gong, "Spin–orbit coupling proximity effect in MoS2/Fe3GeTe2 heterostructures." Applied Physics Letters 120, 043102 (2022). [2022 APL Most-Read Articles]
Jul 2023: We are grateful for a new grant support from NSF.
Jun 2023: Our work on 2D antiferromagnetism was published in Nature Communications.
May 2023: Our work on 2D magnet homostructure was accepted in Physical Review Materials.
Mar 2023: Our work on multiferroic control of 2D magnets was published in Nature Electronics [News; TechXplore].
Dec 2022: Prof. Gong received the prestigious award Maryland Chemist of the Year bestowed by American Chemical Society [UMD News; ECE News].
Dec 2022: Looking forward to working with a cohort of scientists, engineers and entrepreneurs to converge the expertise for food and nutrition security, supported by NSF [News].
Dec 2022: Our vdW ferroelectric tunnel junction with record-high 50,000,000,000 ON/OFF ratio was published in Matter [News].
Sep 2022: Prof. Gong received two awards in UMD ECE: 2022 George Corcoran Memorial Award for faculty and 2022 Jimmy H. C. Lin Award for Entrepreneurship.
Aug 2022: We are grateful for the grants from AFOSR and NSF [News].
May 2022: Our 2D sensor is awarded UMD's Invention of the Year across all categories (1 out of 342 inventions disclosed in 2020-2021 at UMD) [MarylandToday Headine]
Jan 2022: Our paper on ultrafast optical control of coherent phonons is published in npj 2D Materials and Applications.
Jan 2022: Our paper on SOC proximity effect in 2D semiconductor/magnet heterostructure is published in Applied Physics Letters.
Dec 2021: Looking forward to the collaboration with Prof. Shawn He on the newly awarded Brain and Behavior Institute seed grant [News].
Dec 2021: We are grateful for the grant from NAWCAD to collaborate with Navy.
Aug 2021: Our sensor work is covered in UMD ECE news. We are grateful for the grant from Maryland Innovation Initiative (MII).
Jul 2021: Our paper on graphene sensors is published in Applied Physics Letters.
Jun 2021: Our paper on ambient effects on 2D magnets is published in npj 2D Materials and Applications.
Jun 2021: We are grateful for the grant from UMD-ARL quantum partnership.
Apr 2021: The collaborative paper on magneto-chiral effect is published in Nature Communications.
Sep 2020: We are grateful for the grant from Northrop Grumman and looking forward to collaborations.
Aug 2020: Our paper on half-metallic 2D electron gas in multiferroic superlattice is published in Nano Letters. [News]
Jun 2020: Dr. Gong received IUPAP Young Scientist Prize in Semiconductor Physics 2020.